Thursday, June 20, 2013

Brittney Griner: 100% Lesbian and Unapologetic

All American women's basketball player Brittney Griner, who was the number one pick to play professional basketball for the Phoenix Mercury of the WNBA (Woman's Basketball Association), is 100% lesbian and unapologetic about it. 

Although Griner publicly came out this past April, her heroism is still a hot topic just as NBA player Jason Collins still is. 

Brittney told her heroic story of having to keep her sexuality to herself while attending Baylor University, a decision her coach said would "protect her". The 6 foot 8 athlete simply says, "Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something, but, if you're just true to yourself, let that shine through. Don't hide who you really are." 

When asked was it hard for her to come out Griner stated, "It really wasn't too difficult," she said. "I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way. Just being bigger, my sexuality, everything," she told the AP. 

"I overcame it and got over it. Definitely something that I am very passionate about. I want to work with kids and bring recognition to the problem, especially with the LGBT community."

Griner finished her four-year Baylor career as the second all-time scorer in women's NCAA history with 3,283 points. 

She is the top shot-blocker ever, shattering both the men's and women's college marks with 748. She also had a record 18 dunks -- including 11 this season.

This young activist is poised to change the game of women's basketball, and no doubt will be a strong voice for the LGBT community.

Two enthusiastically thumbs up from me Brittney!

2013 LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!